How does my BIA work?
BIA is much more sophisticated than your bathroom scale, but just as painless and almost as quick. BIA is a simple procedure that can be performed right in the office in a matter of minutes with the help of a sophisticated computerized analysis.
The analyzer calculates your tissue and fluid compartments using imperceptible electrical current passed through the pads placed on one hand and foot as you lie comfortably clothed on an exam table. The current measures impedance and reactance of the cells in your body (see: Interpreting results) which calculates a large amount of data on your current state of health. In just minutes, we can have a very accurate measurement to help create an effective personalized program to improve your health status.
What are the guidelines ?
Over 100 independent studies, conducted by researchers over the past 20 years, have demonstrated that it can provide an accurate and clinically useful assessment of body composition. However, for the most accurate results, the fallowing guidelines should be done like that:
1. Do not eat for 4 hours prior to your test
2. Do not exercise for 12 hours prior to your test
3. Do not consume alcohol for 24 hours prior to your test
4. Come well hydrated. Drink at least 2-4 glasses of water 1 or 2 hours before the test (you may void as needed)
5. Do not drink any caffeine the day of your test
6. Do not wear pantyhose/socks from which one foot cannot be removed
Please fallow these for your next visit.